Bearfamily Photo History
Sarah (McFeaters) McCracken
The above picture shows the earliest descendant of the Bear family,
Sarah (McFeaters) McCracken. Located at the bottom row on the left.
She was born in 1824 in Northern Ireland. Born Sarah McFeaters, she married
George McCracken of Glassgow Scotland, and raised their family in Oil City, PA.
This picture contains four generations. To her right is her Great Grandson Charles
McGriff Bear, and her Grand daughter Sarah (McGriff) Bear. At the top is her daughter
Isabelle (McCracken) McGriff. This picture was taken in 1907. Sarah lived her
final years in Oil City Pa.
Samuel Johnston and Isabelle (McCracken) McGriff
Born Isabelle McCracken June 4, 1857 in Cochranton, PA, she married Samuel Johnston McGriff.
Samuel was born July 18, 1852 in Greenville PA.
Together they had Norman J., Mammie and Sarah Gertrude McGriff.
Sarah Rebecca (Phillips) and John Bear
Sarah Rebecca Phillips married John Bear (born about 1860) in Cooperstown, PA and had three children:
Henry Alfred, Amanda and Leona M. As you can see we have no picture of John Bear, but do have his signature.
This was taken from the guest book at the wedding of his son Henry Alfred to Sarah McGriff in 1905.
You can see that he corrected a miss-spelling of his last name from Beer to Bear. Sara passed away in
1911 and John in 1908.
Henry Alfred and Sarah Gertude (McGriff) Bear
Sarah Gertrude McGriff was born on January 10, 1878 in Jamestown, PA. Henry Alfred
was born in 1879 in Franklin, PA. Henry servered in Company "D" of the United States
Army and was sent off to the Spanish American War. Henry and Sarah married April 12,
1905 in Olean New York. Henry worked for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Henry and
Sarah had five Children: Charles McGriff, Mary Isabelle,
Robert Henry, Arthur Donald and Chester Phillips. Henry passed away in 1952, and Sarah
in November of 1968.
While we have quite a number of
pictures of Henry and Sarah, even with their children seperately, this is the only
one we have of the two together.
- Henry in Cooperstown, PA 1895
- Sarah 1898
- Henry Alfred Bear 1898
- Henry in US Army Uniform
- Henry in Uniform with his two Army buddies
- Company "D" are the first Troops to leave Oil City for Spanish American War.
- Henry playing poker with his army buddies
- Henry with his two buddies
- Henry at Rockmore on a two week camping trip. Henry is on the very left.Close up.
- Henry somewhere..hanging on a cliff. He is here in the center. Notice the fellow on the right is holding of the a tree branch.
- Henry is 2nd from the right. Close up
- Sarah? Close up
- B & O Railroad. Henry on the left
- Sarah 1903
- Sara Mc Griff, & Margaret Hall in Philadelphia 1903
- Nurse Sara with her group of nurses.
- Henry and the rest of the work force
- Sarah and Henry's wedding announcement the Olean Herald wed 13th 1905
- Marriage certificate Can't help thinking if this didn't exist, either would I.
- Wedding Guest Book: Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4
- Henry with his children (left to right) Isabelle, Robert and Charles
- Henry Alfred Bear
- Charles, Bob, Don, Isabelle and Ted.
- Sarah with grandsons Charles (Puzz) and Don 1937
- Grandson Don, Mary and son Charles and Don with Sarah. Grandson Jim in front.
- Friend of Sara
- Sons Don, Ted, Sarah, Betti and Grand daughter Sherrie.
- Sarah and grand daughter Sherrie. December 1963
- Sarah and grand daughter Sherrie. 1966
- Sarah's 90th Birthdya: top - Ruth, Louise, Robert, below - Sherrie and Sarah
- Sarah celebrates her 90th birthday
- Sarah celebrates her 90th birthday with grand daughter Sherrie
- The appartments where Sarah and Ted lived. The creek below is flooded.
- Sarah's recipe for orange cookies